In any case, Saturday morning we woke up early and Herve, his father, Benois, Noemi, Daniel and I headed to Dinan, a very touristy medieval city in Brittany. It was one of the most charming little French cities I've seen with its steep cobblestone streets descending towards the ports and the galleries and cafes on every corner. We visited the cathedral, browsed through the markets, explored some galleries, and walked along the old ramparts overlooking the city before reluctantly returning to the car. The car ride home featured an unexpected (for me) musical accompaniment: Herve's father put on a CD of traditional Jewish songs in Hebrew as well as English and German and everyone in the car knew the songs and sang along. I actually hadn't heard some of the songs in years and it was nice to be reminded of them (though strange to hear them in German). After lunch at the house, we headed to rainy Mont St. Michel. The mountain was packed with tourists but every bit as beautiful as described. We walked along the mountain city and the abbey trying to escape the tourists and the howling wind, but the real magic began in the evening. Around 7 PM, all of the tourists disappeared from the mountain and the Abbey opened up all of its formerly closed rooms. We "snuck" back into the abbey without our free tickets which made Herve's overly law-abiding cousin comically freak out. Then musicians filled the chambers of the abbey, the sky cleared up, and the mountain was lit up. There were lots of musicians, but after leaving the flutist to listen to the harp, Herve and I just stayed put. I don't know that I've ever experienced something as perfect as those 15 minutes Herve and I spent listening to the harp together in that beautiful Abbey but it was over too quickly and then we were headed back down the mountain.
Sunday morning was thoroughly relaxing; I had a lovely wake up courtesy of Herve and then after some breakfast, we just played some ping pong (Swiss style), went on the swings, and lay in the grass. After Benois left on his bike to go back to Switzerland, we went into the city of St. Malo. It was a beautiful and festive city on the beach with high walls surrounding the city. I insisted that I didn't want to go swimming, but the beach kept calling and we ended up building a little sand castle with moats and walls and all to try to stand against the tide. A little German boy was watching us jealously, so we told him he should help us out. As Herve remarked with a hint of bitterness, he was maybe nine years old and already spoke almost fluent English. After our castle was flooded, we walked on the city wall and looked over the beach.

No comments:
Post a Comment