This blog is going to be a bit different than most of my blogs because it is about what I just learned about a friend's summer and not about mine. My friend Joe was a freshman at MIT this past year and he decided to spend his summer learning Russian in Russia. What follows is the crazy account via chat (hence the informality) of his trip:It’s been quite a party over here - well, long story but I'm supposed to be teaching English to their daughter Natasha while taking Russian classes at the St. Pete’s university ... well, she has no interest in learning English (her druggy boyfriend is more interesting) and the classes absolutely suck (group courses, somehow the other students didn't care much about learning the language) and add on top of that the fact that I was robbed by the police (whole other story) and it's been an interesting three weeks. The host mom and I were extorted by the police, but got off with only 600 Rubles (though they wanted 600 USD after seeing me, somehow we got out of it). It was definitely NOT cool, and totally fit the corruption/intimidation stories that I had heard before coming here. If it had 'just' been a 'normal' theft I may have been more understanding, but this was just straight up too much for me (the general culture of corruption/intimidation/etc all the way up to the top). They were the authorities, so there is no one to appeal to. So, seeing how I really don't feel comfortable here (other stories too) I'm actually leaving on Monday for Krakow - i'm going to stay with my family and just learn polish - hopefully salvage something from this summer (since i'm obviously NOT learning Russian well - though I have been managing to get by in conversation with the parents). I feel a bit bad in ditching out like this (i was supposed to be here another 7 weeks) but I don't think if this is the bureaucratic norm over here the language is really going to be a worthwhile investment - oh and the mother, while scared at the time, said that that is normal. The people are great though - and the hosts have been amazing - as have the parties and food, but I don't think I can operate in this kind of environment long term...In any case, - I came, I was robbed and I learned - I don't really have any regrets - (well maybe that I should've just done research or something at MIT this summer - oh well, I'll just throw myself into it next semester) Anyway, here’s the long version of the story: I just got back with the mom from delivering the bikes we used last night to tour the city and I was robbed. Legally robbed: the mom and I were biking through the usual soviet era housing blocks, and out from behind a tree drives out a police car as the mom was turning. She didn't see them until she was already turning, and since the roads are tight there was no room for her between the parked car and the cop car, so she fell, but only after falling against the rear of the car. now just so that you know, this is one of those ancient cars (probably soviet era Volga) that is already covered in rust, scratches, etc. well, the cops get out of the car (Militcja) and look at where she had hit the car. They look at the 'scratch' (it's a rubber streak from the handle bar) and try wiping it off. It comes off. so they stop rubbing and start talking about repair costs (which is where my Russian started faltering, but extortion is easily communicated by body language...) the mom was saying was this really necessary, and that I was her guest and friend, do we really need to do this? They say that we need to come down to the police station. oh shit. thankfully we don't have to get in the car and drive off, but walk with one military dude down to the station to meet this nice looking head of the local police department (hah! remember Putin? I looked into his eyes and saw the man's soul...) well, then he started telling the mom something about replacing and painting, etc (it obviously just needed a wet rag...) then the head of the dept. sees me: oh - you're American friend? And the price suddenly went from 100 Rubles (which the mom quickly offered up, and wanted to leave, but oh no) and up to 600 dollars. Oh shit. One nice officer offered a 1000 Ruble bill to the head - no effect. We somehow managed to get off with the mom paying 100 and me 500 Rubles (because she ran out of money).
That’s it!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Why I am not surprised ?!
ReplyDelete